Saturday 16 December 2017

Via Francigena in Italy- Year 1



I've decided (once again) very last minute to pack a few clothes,  my toiletry bag, my favourite book, my walking stick and not much else and I set off for my hike (That's the trouble with having too long summer holidays, and too few plans set in stone to keep you busy during that time).

Six days in total: two with my dad, two on my own, two with Stevey. You should consider yourself lucky to find someone who actually enjoyes walking for dozens (or hundreds) of kilometres.

Day 1

Day 1

Definitely not a new experience for me, this kind of feels like the continuation of three bits of the Santiago Way, and a couple of shorter ones on the Via Francigena in the UK and France. Only difference this time was that the starting point of my walk was my place, in Fornovo, in the province of Parma, which means, no co2 emissions at all were involved in this 'holiday' process. 

Day 2

Day 2

Day 3

True, not everyone is lucky enough to live on the Via Francigena path. If you want to try the same, a way around it is to do a bit of research, and find the nearest point this route crosses where you live. It might be nearer that  you think.

Day 3

Day 4
 What did I take home with me after 6 days of hike and 150 Kilometres on foot covered? The discovery of some hidden gems of the Taro and the Lunigiana Valley, half a kilogram lost (and, of course, already gained back), and plenty of time to enjoy nature and landscapes at a much slower pace, glorious food (oh dear, I do love Italian regional specialities..) with plenty of stops in between...
Day 5

Day 6
London's hectic pace and the hustle and bustle are round the corner in September, and peacefully reading a book whist sitting on a bench in a quiet churchyard will only be a distant memory.
Luckily, these pictures will help me trigger some pleasant memories.





No comments:

Post a Comment