Thursday 9 September 2021

Athens

I think I have really managed to make my most of my ten days in Athens, and my stay would have not been as pleasant and smooth had I not been staying at Kostas and Andreas’ place: Greek hospitality at its best, really, they could have not been kinder and friendlier and I am extremely grateful for all the road trips, taste of authentic Greek cuisine (home-made and restaurants and tavernas recommendations), tips on the sights and must-see places by these two locals! 


If there is one thing I have learnt during my travels over the years is that the experience is so much better when you are lucky enough to be with people who live in that place and can show you the hidden gems of the city. For Athens it was a little street market in occasion of the annual name day of the Church, the local places selling Pita Ghiros and traditional Greek desserts, the funky and alternative neighborhood, called Keraimeikos (basically Athen’s version of Shoreditch and Hackney).

Back to the sights! Ten days is longer than most tourists would spend in the city. As far what to see and where to go, there is a 30 euro- ticket you can buy and it gives you access to the following six sights:

The Acropolis and its slopes, the Ancient and the Roman Agora, Hadrian’s library, the Kerameikos cemetery, the Olympieion and the Lykeion (Aristotele’s school). The first two are in my opinion the real highlights not to be missed, the rest is a nice little extra, but not as thrilling!


The so-called Sacred Rock of the Acropolis with the Parthenon is the landmark of Athens and one of the most significant sights in Greece, what you see on all postcards (little fun fact: I still send them to family and friends: I think it’s a true rarity these days!). The Ancient Agora was the heart of the Athenians public life and my personal advice is to start your walk from Thissio station and make your way all around the perimeter of the premises of the Ancient Agora and all along Apostolou Pavlou street, then to Dionysiou Areopagitou street and all around the park. You won’t regret it, the sights are truly amazing, especially if it is your first visit in Athens!

One should also complete the visits of the Acropolis with the Acropolis Museum, where most of the statues and parts of the Parthenon are to be found today.


The other museums I visited are the Archeological Museum and the National Gallery, whereas I skipped the Benaki Museum, the Benaki museum of Islamic Art and the Byzantine and Christian Museum, and many others you might want to consider to visit, if museums are your thing. Also, a tiny but highly engaging and interactive experience at the Museum of the Academy of Plato, which took me back 20 years to my Philosophy lessons at school, where Socrates and Plato where the first topics of the course we studied. It feels all so much more real and it comes to life when you visit the actual sight where these philosophers lived and ‘thought’.


These are the areas I recommend you go to: Syntagma Square with the Hellenic Parliament, Monastiraki Square, Dionysiou Areopagitou Street, the National Garden and the Zappeio, the area of Plaka, the Lycabettus Hill (with Saint George’s chapel), where you get a magnificent view of the city (although you will probably need to arrange to go there by car or taxi). We went at night, and the sight of the illuminated Acropolis is definitely worth a visit!


The city of Athens is famous for hosting the place of the revival of the Olympic Games in 1896 (the modern version basically), and for hosting the Games in 2004. That’s why the Panathenaic Stadium is a must-see, also because of the tradition of the Olympic Torch Relay, which takes place here every four years.


We also went to see the exhibition called Portals, in the former Public Tobacco Factory, on the theme of immigration and encounter of cultures. I personally loved it, whereas Kostas and Andreas did not think much of it! Here is a link in case anyone is interested. I also visited the Technopolis City of Athens and its Industrial Gas Museum.

The boys took me to the Piraeus and to some very lively areas by the Port where plenty of cafés, restaurants and yachts are. I also went back there one afternoon on my own to check out the two areas of Pasalimani and Mikrolimano. The Pireaus is easily accessible by Overgound, about 25 minutes from the centre of town, and it is great for half a day out!


We also spent a day out at the Kape beach and paid a visit to the temple of Apollon, which looks over the sea.


Needless to say, the weather has been gorgeous throughout my stay, a bit too hot at times (bear in mind I was there at the end of August, beginning of September).


Time to move on to the Greek Islands now! First stop: Naxos!


No comments:

Post a Comment